Notes from the Island

The Island welcomes everybody. Every day many visit and thousands pass close by, though few notice it. It is a place of brief encounters, of buried secrets, of moments glimpsed in rear-view mirrors. A brief pause on a journey. The Island has no border controls, no prisons, no buying and selling. Is it a utopia? Perhaps it could be, a sanctuary of non-interference amidst the surveillance cameras. The Island, London SE14 - much more than just a traffic island on the A2, New Cross Road.

Monday, July 31, 2006

Buried treasure on the island

We received an email last week from a visitor to the Island:

"Ahoy... I sailed to the island today from the isle of Battersea and stopped to water and explore. Whilst I was there I decided to bury a treasure chest with all the trinkets I've found in Deptford & New Cross during my 2 year association with the place. If it isn't discovered then I will periodically add to my stash. But here's a warning for any lubbers that intend to steal my booty - only I've got the key to the chest. splice the mainbrace, etc Pirate Paul"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home